Summer weather is infamous for being hot and uncomfortable. While there’s not much you can do about the weather, there are ways to improve your air conditioner’s performance and make your home more comfortable. Here are 10 tips to help you keep you cool this summer in Jacksonville, FL.
- Check and clean your AC filters. Clogged or dirty filters will reduce the effectiveness of your air conditioner, causing it to work harder and consume more energy than necessary. Replace the filters at least once a month during the summer months to ensure optimal performance.
- Set your thermostat a few degrees higher in hot weather. To keep costs down while still staying cool, turn up the thermostat 2-3 degrees when you’re at home and awake but 5-6 degrees higher when you’re away or asleep.
- Use ceiling fans to improve air circulation. Ceiling fans can help circulate the cool air from your air conditioner more effectively and make your home feel cooler overall.
- Close off unused rooms and vents. If you have rooms in your home that are not being used, close the doors and vents to prevent cooled air from escaping. This will help improve the efficiency of your air conditioner.
- Make sure your AC unit is properly sized for your home. An undersized unit will have to work harder to cool your home, while an oversized unit will cool your home too quickly and waste energy.
- Keep your AC unit free of debris. Leaves, dust, and other debris can clog up your AC unit, causing it to work harder and consume more energy than necessary. Regularly clean the outside unit to keep it running its best.
- Schedule regular maintenance. You should have your AC unit professionally serviced at least once per year, or twice a year if you live in a particularly hot climate. This will help prevent common problems that can reduce performance and increase energy usage.
- Raise the temperature setting on your water heater during long periods of absence or when away on vacation for several days or weeks to save energy and money by reducing unnecessary heating costs while maintaining an adequate hot water supply in case of emergency needs.
- Consider investing in smart thermostats which can be programmed according to your preferences and schedule, but they can also sense when no one is home and automatically adjust the temperature to save energy.
- Educate all members of the household about conserving energy by using the AC less often, setting the thermostat a few degrees higher, and closing doors and vents in unused rooms.
By following these tips, you can improve your air conditioner’s performance and make your home more comfortable during the hot summer months. Implementing even just a few of these suggestions can help you save energy and money, while still staying cool and comfortable.
At Weather Engineers, we understand the challenges of summer weather and are here to help keep your home cool and comfortable all season long. Contact us today at 904-356-3963 to learn more about our air conditioning services, or to schedule a consultation.