It’s never pleasant to hear that something you rely on is failing or about to fail. But when it comes to your air conditioner, you don’t want to wait until it’s too late and end up without a cool home during the hottest days of summer. So how do you know if your AC is about to die? Here are 10 warning signs that your air conditioner might be about to give out or you may need AC replacement in Jacksonville, FL:
- Increased energy bills – If you’ve noticed your energy bills gradually increasing, this could point towards a problem with your AC system. As components age and wear down, they require more power and can become inefficient.
- Strange noises – Squealing, screeching, banging, or grinding noises are all signs that your AC unit is in distress.
- Poor air flow – If you’re not getting the kind of cool air out of the vents that you used to, it could be a sign that your AC unit is struggling with airflow. By scheduling AC tune up in Jacksonville, FL, you can check to make sure that your vents are clear and that the pressure in your AC unit is balanced.
- Lack of maintenance – Regularly scheduled maintenance can help prevent many issues from occurring before they become serious problems. If you haven’t had your system serviced recently, this could be a sign that something within it needs attention now or soon.
- Poor temperature control – Your AC should keep your home at an even, consistent temperature without much fluctuation throughout the day and night. If you’ve noticed a difference in your home’s temperature, this could be a sign of an impending AC failure.
- Leaking refrigerant – If you see liquid pooling around your outdoor unit or coming out of the vents inside your home, this is most likely due to leaking refrigerant. This needs to be addressed immediately by an experienced technician as refrigerants are toxic and can cause health problems if they leak into the air.
- Unpleasant odors – Musty or moldy smells coming from the vents indicate that there may be something growing within the ducts or on one of the components in the system. In addition, burning smells could mean that some part of the system has overheated.
- Blowing warm air – This is one of the most common signs that your AC or ductless mini-split system is failing. Your air conditioner should only be blowing cool air, so if you’re getting anything else this could indicate a serious problem.
- Poor drainage – If you’ve noticed condensation or pooling water around your outdoor unit, it could mean that something has gone wrong with the drainage system and needs to be addressed by a technician as soon as possible.
- Age – The average lifespan of an AC unit is about 10-15 years, so if yours is older than this it might be time to start thinking about replacing it before it breaks down completely during the summer months.
If you’ve noticed any of the warning signs above, it might be time to start thinking about replacing your AC unit before it fails completely and leaves you without a cool home during this summer’s heatwave. Even if the unit is still running, having it checked out by an experienced technician could save you from costly repairs or complete system failure in the future.
At Weather Engineers, Inc. we offer AC replacement in Jacksonville, FL, and the surrounding areas. Our highly trained specialists are here to help you get the most out of your air conditioning system. Contact us today at (904) 356-3963 to learn more or to schedule an appointment.